Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cinnamon Granola Bars

My kids love granola bars. I'm not a fan of buying them at the store, even though I do buy them at the store. I don't want the added sugar or other hidden ingredients. When my good friend told me about this recipe, I couldn't wait to try it. They are delicious, smell wonderful while baking (just like oatmeal cookies!), and are approved by my children! Plus, you can change them up and add any kinds of dried fruits and nuts that interest you. Here's the recipe with my modifications. I halved the sugar, made the vegan, and doubled the recipe. Voila! Yummy, healthy granola bars!


1/4 cup soy yogurt (I used vanilla flavored)
1/4 cup safflower oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg substitutes (I used the flax/water substitution - let me know if you need that info.)
4 TBS wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp agave nectar
4 cups of oats
2 cups of flour (1 cup whole wheat, 1 cup white)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup raisins
*Add other dried fruit or nuts to suit your tastes.

Combine the yogurt, oil, and sugar. Add egg substitute. Stir in wheat germ and agave nectar. In a separate bowl, combine oats, flours, cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir into the wet ingredients. Add the raisins or other dried fruit and nuts you chose.

Press into a jelly roll pan. Wet your fingers so the mixture won't stick. Bake at 350 for 18 or more minutes. I can't remember now how long I baked them. Check for golden brown edges and a soft center.

Let cool for a couple of minutes, then cut into rectangle-shaped bars. Let cool another few minutes, then remove from the pan and cool individually on a cooling rack.

Feed them to your family and be happy knowing how much sugar is in them, and that there aren't any funky ingredients that you can't pronounce. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. What is agave nectar and where is it located?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's basically a honey substitute. But, if you aren't making them vegan, you can use honey instead. It's probably found in the health food or organic section of your store.

    ReplyDelete