Thursday, May 19, 2011

Vegan macaroni and cheese??

Sounds crazy, huh?  It's an oxymoron even.  I love that word, oxymoron.  Anyway, one might think that you can't make macaroni and cheese vegan.  One also might wonder, why would a vegan want to eat macaroni and cheese?  Well yes, it can be made vegan and yes again, we vegans love us some mac and cheese!  Only, the vegan recipes I've seen don't call it macaroni and cheese.  Usually they make it a play on words.  For example the recipe I made tonight by my favorite vegan chef, Dreena Burton, is called Mac-Oh, geez!  Cute, eh?  And, it was just as delicious as the name is cute.

So, why would a vegan want something creamy?  Doesn't cream remind us of...milk...cows?  Mmmm, not really.  Maybe I might think of cows and think of how happy I am that none of them were uncomfortable, at the least, for me to enjoy some creamy pasta.  But, I digress, I'm getting a little off track here.

As a vegan, I still enjoy creamy, warm, hearty dishes that may remind me a bit of the original version.  But, after eating the vegan version, instead of feeling heavy, bogged down, and down right gross, I feel full, satisfied, light, and happy.  All is good.

Where does the creaminess come from?  In this recipe, and some others that I've seen, it comes from nuts.  Dreena used cashews and brazil nuts, along with some spices and almond milk.  I used whole wheat chiocciole which held onto the sauce beautifully.  It was divine.

I failed to take pictures, although Dreena has a gorgeous photo of it on her recipe page.  Isn't she generous?  She has published 3 cookbooks, she's finalizing her fourth, and she puts recipes online for us to try?

So, if you're curious you should give it a try. It's creamy, it's delicious, and no cows were harmed in the making of your mac and cheese. 

Happy cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment