Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Feeling of Fall

The weather has been cool, cloudy, and a bit rainy the past couple of days.  It's quite a change from the hot, humid days we've had so far this summer.  Days that have brought us to the beach more times than I can count...


days that have taken us to the Sleeping Bear Dunes on numerous occasions...



days that have brought so many visitors into our home.  We have been so blessed this summer season to have 11 (so far!) family members or friends spend some of their vacation with us.  And since we've had so many visitors and so many adventures together, I can't quite talk about them all in one post.  Beginning in the next week or two I will begin sharing our summertime adventures with the people who chose to travel and spend some time in our beautiful part of the country.  Now, if they would travel up here in January, then we'd really know how much they loved us!  just kidding

But, back to the fall-like weather.  I love all of the seasons.  That's why Texas and I didn't get along so well.  Yes, it was kind of nice having the sunny, blue skies, and 65 degree temperatures on Christmas day.  But, that's not right.  I should be wearing a sweater, sitting by the fire sipping hot chocolate, watching the big snowflakes fall gently to the ground while listening to Barry Mannilow singing in the background.  I just couldn't get used to that crazy Texas weather.  Although, spring in February sure was nice!

But we've had such a fun summer!  I know fall is coming, maybe my most favorite of the seasons, and I wasn't ready.  Until this weekend.  The cool air, the smell of the pine trees wafting through the house, I was starting to long for soup and baked potatoes fresh from the oven.  Not to mention back to school time.  I love my children to no end, but I also love school and the endless office supplies that we must go look at and purchase (for the oldest boy anyway).  Have I mentioned my addition to office supplies?  Too bad I don't have an office.  I guess you could call my kitchen my office.  But, I digress...  I love office supplies:  pencils, pens, erasers, notebooks, calculators.  My oldest needs a protractor this year!  Yipee!!

I am looking forward to getting back into the routine of school.  Did I just say that?  Yes, I did.  I'm all for routines.  And this summer was probably the one time, since having our first child over 9 years ago, that I've been very lenient on our daily routine.  Which, has lead to many a cranky child (mostly the 2 year old variety) and mommy (not that often, but on occasion).  But, oh the fun we've had!

In a mere three weeks I'll be sending two of my boys back to school.  Both of them will be going full time which will leave me home with my youngest, for one more year.  Can I cry now?  Because I seriously could.  I love my boys, and I know that in an instant the years will fly by and they will be off to college, and then married with children of their own.  And, where does that leave me?  I'm not so sure yet, I'm still working on that one.  Baby steps...

Getting back to the topic at hand, this change in weather has given me more to think about than just a change in wardrobe, or a change in routines.  It has me thinking of the constant change in our lives.  Change is a good thing, change is the only constant in life.  And, change is good.

See you soon, autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment