Tuesday, November 8, 2011

busy tuesday

Tuesdays are busy for us.  After I pick the boys up from school at 3:30 we head over for my oldest son's piano lessons.  I've decided we can't come home before hand because we're usually late for the lesson.  So we take our time walking across campus looking at the squirrels and chipmunks.  We find pretty leaves or pinecones.   But today it was pouring rain, so instead we ran across the wet sidewalks, I was trying to swerve my youngest around the puddles.  You know boys are drawn to puddles, right?  Actually, I think all kids are drawn to puddles.

I wasn't really in the mood for a full day like today.  The boys have been getting up early because of the time change...they have yet to adjust.  As a result they've been a bit on the cranky and irritable side...not so fun.  But, one of these mornings they won't get up at 5:30.  Hopefully tomorrow is that morning.

It was a rainy day, a day I would have just rather come home, stoked up the fire in the fireplace and snuggled with my boys on the floor.  But I knew if I cancelled piano, my oldest would have taken that ball and run with it.  Anytime he wasn't up for a lesson, he would want to cancel.  So we went.  And all was well.  He played, the other boys and I explored the building like we usually do, savoring our time in the stairwell.  They like to hide under the stairs.  There are plenty of students who like seeing a 6 year old and 2 year old in the halls.  They're all away from their families and I think it helps them remember their families back home.

On our way home I had that let down feeling.  The kind of feeling you get when you've had a marathon-type of day and it was finally over.  The feeling that lets you know you can take a deep breath and relax.  The vibe was good in the car, we heard some of our favorite songs, and we knew that we were headed home.

It's a good feeling.


Onto the meals for the day...

I was sad to see I was out of Cheerios this morning.  But it was a good day for a bowl of oatmeal.  I had mine with a touch of natural sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and pecans.  And don't forget my favorite chai tea! 

We had a coffee date with some other new moms from the boys school.  Nickel got a cup of fruit and a muffin and I finished my chai.  It was nice to talk with the moms and my boy did much better than I expected, given the cranky morning he had.

He makes for a pretty cute lunch date though.

Now, on to lunch.  I had my favorite salad as big as my head.  I took two pictures so you could get a feel for the size of this monstrosity.

I made this one with one head of romaine, a handful of spinach, some sesame seeds, one avocado, 6 button mushrooms, 8 asparagus spears and dressed with a pomegranate vinaigrette.  I sauteed the mushrooms and asparagus in a little EVOO.  I like the contrast of the warm sauteed veggies with the cool crisp romaine.  Delicious!

I finally made more cookies today too.  I had 2...since I hadn't had any dessert since Saturday.  That put me over the top though, and I wasn't hungry for dinner when the boys were eating.  My dinner came after their bedtime and I ended up having a big bowl of Cheerios topped with banana and raspberries.

So that's it.  I'm heading to bed for an earlier bedtime.  I'm sooooo hoping these boys can adjust so they can be happier.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment