Wednesday, May 23, 2012

pre-vacation baking and cooking

When we travel I like to bring a lot of our own foods.  I make things that travel well, are kid-friendly, and of course delicious.  I like to choose foods that are versatile, good for breakfast, snack, and dessert.  I also bring fruit (we go through a LOT of fruit), fill up our water bottles, tea for me, and almond milk.  I sometimes have to stop by the grocery store once while we're out of town to replenish something, but not always.

Today I did some baking.  I had hoped to get a couple more things baked up for the trip but alas, the pace of a three year old is not the same as a 40 year old.  But that's the fun of it.  When he hears that the baking is about to begin, he asks for "the big stool", makes sure his water is close by (because he gets thirsty with all the snacking) and settles in.  He's a good helper, as all of my boys are.

First we made Dreena's cocoa cookie dough balls.  Talk about versatile!  If these were not rolled in natural sugar you could include these as an extra-special treat for an extra-special-occasion breakfast.  I haven't been putting chocolate chips in mine, mostly because I keep forgetting.  I must apologize for my horrible pictures.  I think (hope) my camera is on its last leg.  Anyway, if you have Let Them Eat Vegan! then you must make these.  They are sugar free (unless you roll yours in natural sugar as I did), oil free, and full of chocolatey goodness.  If you don't have this cookbook, then you may remember when I did a book review and included the recipe in that post.  Make them please and let me know what you think.



Second on my list was granola.  Normally I prefer Dreena's hemp-anola but I was running low on hemp seeds.  Heather had a recipe for granola listed in her first round of recipes for 30 Day Vegan and thought I would try that one.  Personally I still prefer Dreena's, it has some healthier ingredients and has a nicer crunch to it but Heather's is tasty too.  I substituted millet for the whole wheat flour in Heather's recipe.


Yesterday I made cocoa goji granola.  Do you see those lovely goji berries in there?  This is a nice change from your average granola.  It has a delicious chocolatey flavor with a hint of orange from the zest.  I've been snacking on it straight out of the container, but I think it will be fantastic with almond milk.  I used pumpkin seeds instead of sunflower seeds.




I love these muffins.  They are also from Let Them Eat Vegan!  The banana and coconut flavors are delicious together and will be great for breakfast or snack.  They will travel well too.



Tomorrow my plan is to make granola bars, a batch or two of cookies, and at least one dressing.  I can't be without the curried almond dressing for long! 

30 Day Vegan's post today included another group of recipes for the coming week.  I look forward to trying some of those in the next couple of days.

My Fifths Disease symptoms continue to fade.  I was able to put my wedding rings on for a few hours today.  By the boys bathtime they were quite difficult to get off but I was happy to have them on for a short time anyway.

Now it is time for bed.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! I'm always looking for food that travels well! And I'm happy you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete