Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday's Dinner

I love soup.

I love making soup.

I love eating soup.

I especially love eating leftover homemade soup for lunch.

I still couldn't get the corn chowder out of my mind, so I made some this afternoon for our dinner. It's from my ever faithful Vegan Planet cookbook and is so delicious and super duper easy. It was even more easy because I had leftover, cooked corn on the cob from dinner the other night. I began making it before 2pm ('cause that's when the baby was napping and I have to take my opportunities when they are available!), but just left it on the stove and warmed it up right before dinner. I made myself another wrap too, like the one I had for lunch yesterday (shown in yesterday's post). Dinner was so satisfying and delicious!


Underneath that wonderful simmering broth was fresh sweet corn, russet potatoes (because I didn't have the yukon gold that the recipe called for), and celery. I know, I need to practice taking my food pictures.

Here's the recipe, again from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson:

4 ears of corn
1 TBS olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced (as stated above, I used russets, 2 of them)
4 cups of vegetable stock
1 cup of non-dairy milk (I used hemp milk)
salt and pepper to taste
garnish (which I don't have time to do, but I should, because my pictures would look prettier):
1 red tomato finely chopped, 2 TBS minced fresh basil leaves

You can roast the corn in the oven. I find this really makes my kitchen stinky, so I boil mine as I would for serving the corn on the cob straight up. If you'd really like the roasted flavor, feel free to roast it in the oven, after removing the silk only, for about 30 min in a 450 degree oven. Cut the corn off the cob and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 min. Add the potato and stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 25 min. or until the veggies are soft. Add the corn.

You can puree about 2 cups of the soup in a blender, or use a hand-held blender right in your soup pot. I forgot to do this today. It was still super yummy and the broth wasn't too runny, for me anyway. After pureeing some of the soup, add it back to the pot and add the non-dairy milk too. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste. Garnish if you so choose and enjoy!

The weather this past week has been cool and rainy and the soup really hit the spot. As I said above, I love soup! I make soup all year round, even during the dog days of summer. I hope you give it a try too.

Happy soup-making!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I make a corn and kielbassa chowder that is super yummy too. I may have to try this one soon since corn is in season!

    ReplyDelete