Sunday, November 14, 2010

Commitment

I love running.  Lately, I haven't been able to run as much as I'd like.  It's difficult to fit into my schedule, since I'm the bus driver for both of my kids, and I still have a toddler at home, and the days are getting shorter, and I won't run in the dark.  Blah, blah, blah.  As you can see, I can come up with excuses, which are all good, I'd say.  Hee hee.

Anyway, that's all changing.  I purchased a bike trainer today that will allow me to work out every day, at home, in the dark, or whenever I want.  Hooray!  I'll be able to go on runs on the weekend, when it's light out, when my hubby is home and watching our beautiful boys.

I've run two half marathons, the first one I trained for 9 months with my friend.  We ran in rain, snow, wind, heat and humidity, everything.  We talked child-rearing, husbands, recipes, even some of our deepest secrets.  We were committed and dedicated and I loved every minute of it.  Well, almost every minute...

The second one I ran, we kind of decided last minute.  We were going to do the 5K, but once you run the 1/2, the 5K just isn't that special anymore.  Maybe I'll feel that way about the 1/2 once I run a full marathon.  Anyway, I had just started running again, after having my 3rd boy.  We had about 3 weeks until race day and we decided that if we could run 10 miles, then we should go for it.  The 10 mile run night went great and we signed up the next day.

Running a race like that is addictive, for me anyway.  It's so exciting, having all the other runners there, seeing all of the spectators cheer you on, the newness of a different course, and of course, having your family waiting for you at the finish line.  Fabulous!  Our second half marathon didn't go too bad, since we didn't really train that much for it.  But, I had one casualty, my right big toe nail.  It's finally healed (grown back), 9 months later.

So, now here I am, thinking about running another 1/2 marathon, and maybe 2 this spring!  The Ohskosh half marathon is April 16 (ohmygoodness I hope there's no snow this year) and the Bayshore Marathon (I think I'd still have to do the 1/2) is Memorial weekend (thanks Sarah!).

I'll keep you posted on my progress.  Tonight, my first night, I did 45 minutes on the bike.  It felt good, not too bad since it's been a while since I'd run last (about 3 weeks....eeek!!!).  I did have to break and let the dog out, but other than that I kept a steady pace.

Consider me committed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment