Thursday, December 2, 2010

All or Nothing

A friend of mine, Jessica, is a diet and fitness buff who writes a blog (http://swimbikerunmama.blogspot.com).  She also includes cute (and sometimes not so cute!) stories about her family and raising 2 boys.  I can identify with a lot of her parenting methods and challenges that she faces.  Plus, she is a great motivator to get my body moving!  Recently, she got a little personal, and blogged about some of her struggles with weight and body image.  You can find the posts here and here.  Then, the other day she talked about "all or nothing" when it comes to diet and exercise.  I can completely relate.

If I set my mind to it, I can give up any food item.  Becoming vegetarian didn't result in this way though.  I became vegetarian because I identified the animal with the food I was eating and was extremely grossed out.  I never really liked meat so becoming vegetarian was an easy change for me.  Becoming vegan (of which I often fall off the bandwagon...that darned Moomers ice cream!!) was a decision made to better my health.

But, when I attempt to change my eating habits by cutting down on sugar (my only vice anymore...but it's a big one!) it's either all or nothing for me.

Crazy, huh?  I should be able to eat sweets in moderation, but I can't.  I've given up all refined sugar and white flour before, just before I became pregnant with my second son.  I wasn't vegetarian then, but I watched what I ate, exercised regularly.  I looked and felt great.  So, why did I change a good thing?  Because I thought I could have one little something and that opened the flood gates. 

I then try to convince myself that those sugary foods are just empty calories.  Why would I want to put all that artificial junk in my body and create more work for me to burn those calories?  I don't know.  I think I feel like I'm rewarding myself...in some strange way.  Other family members (who shall remain nameless as they did not ask to go public with their personal struggles...hee hee) have expressed the same thought process with me about how they view sweets.  I've heard of some people rewarding themselves with exercise, that's what I should do.  That would be the smart choice.  But, I don't.  But, maybe I will.  I could change...maybe. 

I've not been writing very personal posts before this one, but I really admire Jessica's honesty with her struggles with weight and mommyhood.  So, I decided I'd share one of my struggles with the blogging world.  Maybe next time I'll share something else I struggle with.  Hmmm, I'll have to choose one of the many!

This wasn't so bad afterall.  And, if you feel like sharing some of your shortcomings with me, feel free!  We can bask in the glow of imperfection together!

2 comments:

  1. How the heck did I miss this post? I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Well, I don't love the fact that we all have our personal struggles, but I love the fact that you have opened up about them.

    When I see a brownie, I become weak in the knees. I know exactly how you feel. And I can't stop at one bite. I had a former coworker that would honestly eat the smallest piece of dessert and be perfectly fine. I was always insanely jealous of her because I would be the one sitting there inhaling 5 desserts instead of a decadent little piece. Then I would get all ticked at myself for forever for screwing with my healthy eating habits.

    This happens to me at least like 1 or 2 times a week where I just GORGE on desserts. I have no willpower. You'd think that with the amount of working out I do, I'd be losing tons of weight...but no...my weight never goes down and it instead can easily go up! All in the name of my lack of willpower, as I can easily eat like 5,000 calories of desserts in one sitting.

    *sigh*

    PLease please share more! I'm listening with open arms! And I'm SOOO sorry it took me so long to find this! I have a running feed of all my fav blogs I follow and somehow I missed your awesome post. :(

    ReplyDelete