Thursday, February 23, 2012

cookies, hummus and family stuff

We like cookies in our house.  I usually make 3 batches in a normal week.  That sounds like a lot but my vegan batches that I make only make about 12 cookies in comparison to the larger non-vegan batches.  Our favorite stand by recipe is for chocolate chip cookies.  To be specific, they're Dreena's Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies found in her second cookbook, Vive le Vegan!  You can find the recipe here.


What I love about making vegan cookies is I only need one bowl!  Just mix the dry ingredients in the large bowl, measure out the wet ingredients in the measuring cup, and add the wet to the dry.  It's so quick and simple.  And these cookies are everyone's favorite.


I made the cookies yesterday, but went to bed early...I really needed that.  I'd had too  many late nights and immediately after washing dishes last night (9:00pm!!) I headed for bed.


Today I made hummus, Kids Dynamo Hummus from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan.  It was good.  It has cashews, flax oil, just one clove of garlic, and nutritional yeast.  There are also the other hummus ingredients like chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, etc.  Nicholas loves hummus and he liked this one too.  It's a bit more mild than the traditional version.  Dreena has a whole chapter devoted to hummus in this book and I'm looking forward to trying some of the others.

***************

A certain baby boy turns three this weekend.  I cannot fathom how three years have flown by already.  I'll post more on his birth story later. 

Daniel has his pinewood derby race tomorrow night.  It starts at 7pm, which is late for us.  The kids are usually getting ready for bed at about that time, so that will make for a late night.  Daniel's car is all ready to go.  It's pretty snazzy-looking if I do say so myself.

So wish him luck!  He's also working on convincing us to let him stay for the lock-in afterwards.  We shall see about that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment