Tuesday, January 24, 2012

soup and busy tuesdays


Tuesdays are busy days for us.  Right after school I take the kids to my oldest son's piano lesson.  And once we get home it's dinner time.  So I need something I can make in the afternoon that can be ready when we walk in the door after piano lesson.  I usually make soup because I love soup, I can get it ready while my youngest is napping, and it'll be ready when we walk in the door.  Tonight I tried a new recipe.  It has a great name, One Wild Chick Soup!




Again, it's from Dreena Burton's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan cookbook.  It's like a vegetable soup with chickpeas and wild rice.  It is seasoned with thyme, marjoram, sage, and oregano.  It is really yummy.  And it made the house smell delicious!  I admit, I was hesitant to try a new vegetable soup recipe.  I have a one that is adapted from my Grandmother's chicken noodle soup recipe that I grew up on.  Just the smell of the onion and garlic cooking remind me of how much I love that soup.  I wasn't sure I would like the additional spices and the wild rice (only because it wasn't the same veggie soup that I know and love so well)  but it was different and it was good.  I'll definitely be making it again as my kids love chickpeas and wild rice. 



===============


I'm a couple of days late going to the grocery store.  I usually go on Monday, but we had that freezing rain yesterday.  Today we had a playdate at a friend's house.  But tomorrow our co-op has their customer appreciation day.  I'm looking forward to 10% off my purchases, and my littlest one is looking forward to some new samples to try.  I'm also looking forward to filling up my fruit bowl with delicious organic fruits.  It's looking a little sad today.





===============


Have I mentioned I love tea?  I'm not a coffee-drinker.  I love how it smells, I just don't like the way it tastes.  On the other hand...tea?  Love!  I always have one in the morning.  Lately it's been a nog spiced chai which I've been really loving.  But on those mornings that I feel like a cold may be coming on I'll brew up some green tea and put a healthy chunk of fresh ginger in to steep with the bag.  I sweeten with a little agave. 

Recently I've been making myself a second tea in the afternoon.  Today I had peppermint.  It was fabulous as we walked through the snowy campus where my son has his piano lesson. 




The next couple of days are lower-key in the afternoons.  I hope to take a walk in our woods tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment